Society of the Precious Blood (Lesotho)
Five Sisters of the Society of the Precious Blood at Burnham Abbey went to Masite in Lesotho in 1957 to join with a community of African women, with the intention of forming a multi-cultural contemplative community dedicated to intercession. In 1966, this community at Masite became autonomous, although still maintaining strong ties of friendship with Burnham Abbey. In 1980, a House of Prayer was established in Kimberley in South Africa, which has developed a more active branch of the Society. Sadly, due to diminishing numbers, health issues and finance, the Lesotho Priory closed on 1 March 2014 and the sisters dispersed. The Kimberly house will continue its ministry.
Name: Sister Elaine Mary SPB
(Prioress, assumed office 24 September 1997)
Address: St Monica's House of Prayer, 46 Green Street, West End, Kimberley, 8301, South Africa
Tel: +27 538 331 161