Community of St Andrew
Registered Charity : No. 244321
In the mid 19th century Elizabeth Ferard felt called to restore the diaconate of women. After training for several months with Lutheran deaconesses at Kaiserswerth and with the Anglican Sisters of Mercy at Ditchingham (CAH), she was authorized by the Bishop of London, A. C. Tait, to begin an Institute to train women as Deaconesses which started on St Andrew’s Day, 1861. The Bishop commissioned Elizabeth as the first Deaconess of the Church of England on 18 July 1862. The Bishop laid hands on the head of each person to be made Deaconess, give her his blessing and she would be admitted to the Community of the London Diocesan Deaconess Institution. From about 1887 the Community evolved into a Religious Community known as the Deaconess Community of St Andrew: thus the dual vocation of life commitment in community and ordained ministry in the Church. The fundamental ministry is the offering of prayer and worship, evangelism, pastoral work and hospitality, now mainly through retirement ministries. In 2011 we celebrated our 150th anniversary as a Community. Because the restoration of the Deaconess Order began with us, in 2012 we co-sponsored the celebration of 150th anniversary of the Deaconess Order of the Church of England at Lambeth Palace at which the Archbishop presided and a former deaconess, the Revd Ann Gurney preached.
Name: Mother Lillian CSA
(Mother Superior, assumed office 6 November 2000)
Address: St Mary's Convent & Nursing Home, Burlington Lane, Chiswick, London, W4 1YA, England