Community of St John the Evangelist (Ireland)
Founded in Dublin in 1912, CSJE was an attempt to establish Religious Life in the Church of Ireland, although it did not receive official recognition. The founder believed that a group of sisters living hidden lives of prayer and service would exercise a powerful influence. When he died in 1939, there were twenty-four professed sisters and six novices.
From the 1930s, the Community had a branch house in Wales, which became the Mother House in 1967. In 1996, however, the Sisters returned to Dublin to the house originally taken over in 1959 from the Community of St Mary the Virgin. (This CSMV was not connected with the CSMV sisters at Wantage, but was a small community founded in the 1890s which had never grown beyond nine members.) The present house was formerly a school and then a home for elderly ladies of the Church of Ireland. It is now a Registered Nursing and Residential Home under the care of the Community but run by lay people.
The remaining Sisters of CSJE continue to live the Religious Life to the best of their ability and leave the future in the hands of God.
Name: Sister Ann Dora CSJE
(Sister Superior, assumed office February 2000)
Address: St Mary's Home, Pembroke Park, Ballsbridge, Dublin 4, Republic of Ireland
Tel: +353 (1) 660 2904