Community of the Holy Cross (Benedictine) (Rempstone)
A Registered Charity
The Community of the Holy Cross was founded in 1857 by Elizabeth Neale (sister of John Mason Neale, the hymnographer), at the invitation of Father Charles Fuge Lowder. The foundation was intended for Mission work in Father Lowder's parish of London Docks, but succeeding generations felt that the Community was being called to a life of greater withdrawal, and earlier in the twentieth century the Benedictine Office, and later the Rule of St Benedict, were opted.
The Community aims to achieve the Benedictine balance of prayer, study and work. All the work, whether manual, artistic or intellectual, is done within the Enclosure. The daily celebrations of the Eucharist and the Divine Office are the centre and inspiration of all activity.
Apart from worship, prayer and intercession, and the work of maintaining the house, garden and grounds, the Community's works are: the publications and greetings cards described below; providing retreats and quiet days; and dealing with a large postal apostolate.
Name: Sister Mary Luke Wise CHC
(Mother Superior, elected 8 Nov 1991)
Address: Holy Cross Convent, Rempstone Hall, Loughborough, LE12 6RG, England
Tel: +44 (0)1509 880 336
Fax: +44 (0)1509 881 812