Community of the Holy Name (Lesotho Province)
Founded 1865 in UK and 1962 in Lesotho
The Basotho Community of S. Mary at the Cross was founded in Leribe, Lesotho, in 1923, under the Community of St Michael & All Angels, Bloemfontein. In 1959, CHN Sisters were invited to take over this work and started at Leribe in 1962. They had invited the Sisters of S. Mary at the Cross to become members of CHN and the full amalgamation of the two communities was completed in 1964. As a multi-racial community, the witness against racism at a time when apartheid was in the ascendant in South Africa was an important strand of the Community's vocation. New members have joined the Community in succeeding years, and they have continued the evangelistic and pastoral work which is also an important part of the CHN vocation. Sisters are involved in youth work, prison visiting, as well as helping in both Lesotho and South Africa. This work is enabled and strengthened by the daily round of prayer, both corporate and private, which is at the heart of the Community's Rule. A daily Eucharist at the centre of this life of prayer is the aim, but in some houses this is not always possible owing to a shortage of priests.
Ten Sisters in Leribe run a hostel for secondary school students who live too far from home to travel daily.
Name: Sister Angelina CHN
(Sister Provincial, assumed office December 2001)
Address: Convent of the Holy Name, PO Box 22, Ficksburg, 9730, South Africa
Tel: +27 (0)22 400 249